Firstly, let me wish you a happy new year and hope that 2021 is an improvement on 2020. I’m not sure it could be worse, but that strikes me as tempting fate, so I won’t be saying that, clearly! Hopefully we’ll be able to keep in touch and keep our spirits up through the darker months of the year.
We’re aware that there are Ringing Room sessions going on in towers and some branches, as well as across the wider ringing community. If there is anyone who would like to move on to surprise minor or major methods (for example) or to try quarters, the Guild can work to put like-minded people in touch and arrange sessions. If you’re looking to move on and need some support to do so, get in touch with the Master or Secretary to express your interest. E-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The PDG 12 days of Christmas
Over the holiday’s the Guild Secretary has been rather generous and sent everyone a full 12 days of ringing related presents. Enjoy!
. On the First day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… … A Ringing World bumper copy.
This year’s Christmas edition of The Ringing World is a three week bumper sized copy, featuring a number of seasonal puzzles. If you’re a Guild member, or follow the Guild’s Facebook page you can send in your completed nonogram. Right answers received by the end of January will go into the hat for a prize.
Available online you can buy one issue : https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/issues.php
Or you can subscribe here: https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/subscribe
· On the Second day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… … Two ringing Robots
https://youtu.be/7XbW8z3lqW8 And a pair of Firman helpers to keep Rosie & Richie on the straight & narrow.
· On the Third day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… … Three bells on Bob’s Tail ring.
https://www.facebook.com/PDGCBR/posts/211509463787785 OK, someone may have got their carols crossed at this point.
· On the Fourth day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… … Four running ringers.
The Halleleujah chorus for 4 handbell ringers – it is worth a watch. And a nice sit down after all that exertion!
· On the Fifth day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… … Five old bells.
I am saying nothing whatsoever about the age of the ringers.
· On the Sixth day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… …Six-ty on thirds
Rung at Plympton St Maurice, Plymouth, Devon
· On the Seventh day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… … Seven mini sallies
Avon Ropes make ropes of all sizes, from full size tower bells to mini rings. They also make light pulls that make excellent talking points in the guests’ bathroom. https://www.facebook.com/AvonRopes/posts/4632811623426634
· On the Eighth day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… … Eight standard methods
In this case a touch of spliced surprise major.
· On the Ninth day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… … Nine Tailors tolling
It’s the quintessential ringing novel. And available on YouTube in 4 episodes. Episode 1: https://youtu.be/_rMnsy8fp5I
· On the Tenth day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… … Ten different branches
· On the Eleventh day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… … Eleven colours twining
An especially composed touch of Stedman Cinques used as a pattern for a baby blanket square. https://www.facebook.com/PDGCBR/posts/211565580448840
· On the Twelfth day of Christmas, my Guild Secretary gave to me… … Twelve bells a-ringing
The glorious bells of Towcester being given a thorough workout by the Birmingham band.
Central Council Updates
The Central Council issued an update on its reform consultation. Changes will be afoot, it remains to be seen what changes there will be and what impact they will have on ringing and its organisation. https://cccbr.org.uk/about/reforms/
The Christmas Eve edition of PM featured experiences during Covid of two ringers. It can be played through this link: https://cccbr.org.uk/2020/12/24/covid-chronicles-on-bbc-radio-4s-pm-programme/
The YouTube contest to promote and find good ringing on the platform reached a conclusion. The winners of the people’s vote was announced and can be found here: https://cccbr.org.uk/2020/12/21/youtube-competition-overall-winner/
President’s Christmas blog was published just prior to Christmas. https://cccbr.org.uk/2020/12/18/presidents-yule-blog/
And an article on ringing appeared in “People’s Friend”. https://cccbr.org.uk/2020/12/29/it-becomes-this-amazing-team-effort/
Secretary: Peterborough Diocesan Guild of Church Bellringers